Captain Phasma ~ Star Wars The Force Awakens

 

My Captain Phasma 

This costume has been such an undertaking, & I still have so far to go. But I’m really glad I took it on, & am looking forward to doing all the work I have left on it! This pic was taken at DragonCon by Robby Idol Photography 

So far:
Let’s start with the fabric parts? I used a thick, heavy lycra, & made the gaskets from piped PVC. I put industrial velcro on certain places on the bodysuit to hold on & secure a few of the armor pieces from moving/sliding, but they were not weight bearing (the armor was much too heavy for velcro). The gloves are separate pieces. The cape is really heavy, has the appropriate pockets and straps on it, and goes on with hidden industrial velcro. I did rubberize the cape fabric, but I don’t want to go into how because it wasn’t something I would recommend anyone actually do, I made myself sick & will not be responsible for someone repeating my mistakes.
The armor. First off, it’s flexible fiberglass. It was part of an original kit, an experiment. I realize now why Stormtroopers always use vacu-formed plastic, it’s incredibly light & shapeable…this set of armor alone weighs 60 pounds!! It was made for an enormous male, someone over 6’ and over 200 pounds. I had to first start out with trying as many alterations as I could. I removed inches from the circumference of the upper arms, upper torso, & upper thighs. I had to spray Plastidip first inside of all of the armor, as the fiberglass was shedding a bit (as rough fiberglass will), & was itching/making me crazy. Sealing the inside made it easier to handle. Then I primed all of the armor using auto paint primer, since it’s made to adhere to fiberglass without reacting & seals it. A few coats + sanding & filling, priming. I then attached inside a harness system I made for myself, most of the armor weight hangs from my shoulders all the way down to my knees. I also glued pieces of EVA Foam inside of a lot of the armor since it was so big, kept it from rattling around me like a bell! Then I spray painted it with a chrome paint, & waxed it.
The helmet I screwed up on a few times, of all pieces, & had to sand/repaint the thing 4 times. And it’s not done. Inside the helmet I added the plastic visor to hide my eyes, a fan for cooling/air, & a voice box so my voice carries outside the helmet, otherwise no one could hear me at all!
The part I hated the most: all the little finger pieces. Between sanding and shaping, priming and painting, & gluing them to the gloves…I hate finger armor, now. Hate it.

Special thanks to the awesome dude who brought me my little piece of heel armor after it came off in the crowd, you’re a hero!!






These photos were taken by Rob Somers photo, with Kylo Lyn as my amazing Kylo Ren!









Retired and sold!!